Monday, December 6, 2010

My Bhiya


    It was my first year in University of Saskatchewan. It felt like the worst place to live in. Such a small city, nowhere to go and there was nothing to do.  It was end of September, first or second day of roja. Arif informed me that, Mehedi bhai will be visiting us from calgary  to Saskatoon and two other bhiyas (brothers) would also come. Yes! finally very excited that, calgarians will come to visit us. It was September 29th 2006, they reached Saskatoon very late at night in Arif’s place. So I didnt get to meet them the first day. The next day I already had a plan from long time ago to go to puja with one of my friend from school. So I decided to go to puja first and I was sure by the time I came back from puja, everyone will be up by then. It was noon, when Arif called that, they would come straight to puja to meet me and have brunch there too. It took them a while to find the temple. Finally they were here. This was the very first day I met him, my bhiya, Imon bhiya. A very tall guy wearing sunglasses and a very tight black t-shirt. Imon bhiya, Shawkat bhiya, Ruman and Mehedi bhiya, they all drove down to Saskatoon just for fun.  So we had our introduction and talking part first, then we had lunch together.  After I ditched my friends :p, went with bhiyas to look around in the university.

       It wasn’t winter yet so the weather was great. We were all standing outside of my dorm building, enjoying the weather and talking about random stuff. Mostly bhiya was talking and we we were listening and laughing to his jokes and funny comments. I remember very well that I didnt understand half of the things he was saying as he was talking soooooo fast (I am sure you all know what I mean). Mostly, he was making fun of Saskatoon and how awesomely boring this city was J. Plus they just moved from Montreal to Calgary. Therefore Saskatoon made a huge difference.

      Next day we (Sanita and I) went over to Arif’s place to say hi and bye as well to them (because it was their last night before leaving off to Calgary). We had dinner, adda and Sanita sang. It was a great night. We all had good times. and not to mention that I was used to his talking so fast by then and I understood pretty much everything he said after a while. Bhiya ‘pochafyed’ me and sanita a lot. Specially me because its another story:

Before going to arif's place: I told sanita i don’t wanna go there all by myself  because when all the guys are in one place, they talk about weird stuff and make dirty jokes’ ( thats how my guy friends are so i made this comment)
So sanita that night told bhiyas something like, so you know miki didnt wanna come cause she thinks you guys talk dirty. lol
      
        Yes i felt like going thousands feet under the ground as it was one of the most embarrassing moment of my life. I didnt know bhiyas that well at that time, it was first meeting basically and right front of them given them wrong impression. I certainly didnt think that negative.
So after that Imon bhiya kept bugging me with “ tui amake luiccha mone korish? Ami luiccha?” ever since then he would bug me by saying this over and over again.

     He even sent me an email once when i said bye to him before leaving Calgary: “tui dekhi luichcha bhaider theke joto taratari shombhob mukti petechash


I have never met anyone who can make people so close that easily. It was our first meeting yet he managed to say tui and called me apu. I never felt so comfortable with anyone in the first meeting like I did with my bhiya. He made jokes, laughed and made all of us laugh so hard. He was the most liveliest person I have ever come across off. He is special and he will always be special. He is and will always be here in my heart, in my prayer and in my mind...always!!!! My bhiya. 

Front of administration Building. September 30th,2006 
Agriculture Building. September 30th, 2006



3 comments:

  1. imon bhai r shathe first dekha howar poreo silvy amake same kotha bolsilo...o naki bhaiyar half kothai bujhe nai...

    ReplyDelete